Forum consepet
You are not logged in. Please Login.

Posted: Nov 08, 2023 7:21:27 pm
cgetty

These are my observations about the software CrossUI.

Around the time 2008/2009 I work for the city of Azusa and the electrical department electric meters.

Since meters stop being mechanical and started being electronic well then software came to my life and I started to learn about software and using it at my work with the meters and keeping track of records and databases and so on.

I ran across some software called sigma widgets or something like that. it was basically a javascript that you could use easily plug onto a HTML page and it looked pretty good and it was via the Internet I liked it.

Around 2009 I ran across UI Builder. The person who developed this his name is Jack Lee. He comes from China and he had a little bit of effort in regards to the language and I can appreciate that. In spite of that the UI Builder program that he made it was very good I liked it it reminded me of Delphi or other types of software that was like drag and drop components onto a pallet and then push a button and you could run it on the internet.

But unlike Delphi which was specifically made for the Windows operating system they tried a version for PHP and aversion for Linux but they didn't go anywhere. But I like the idea.

Writing for a specific platform like Windows or Linux or Unix or whatever you're confined to that operating system kind of a slave to it. Of course in the case of like javascript for example that seems to be targeted towards people who use the internet instead of a specific operating system. although javascript operates different it takes things off the internet loads them on to your client machine that you're working on and then it sends things back and forth to the internet and that's how it works basically seems to me.

I think of software kind of like an art like people who write music or do poetry or draw I think there's something that draws me to software development. Of course when I did my job at the city and the electric department it wasn't a full-time part of my job so I was able to enjoy it with less pressure. But because it wasn't my main focus I never got really under the hood of the nuts and the bolts I tried to learn c I tried to learn Pascal I tried to learn basic I tried to learn javascript I tried to learn a lot of stuff.

But in my case I just started to get under the surface and then I would hit walls and roadblocks and technology changes in the internet or the operating system and eventually you put it down and then you come back later and you work it until you make some more progress and then that cycle seems to go on.

It's not so bad if you can keep making upward progression but when you get to a flat spot where you get no support there's no user base you got other things to do in life you just got to you know do what you can.

I think Jack Lee is I'd consider him probably being a genius. in 2009 I don't know if it was him alone but he seemed to be the major player in the development of UI Builder. The last version I got my hands on was version 3 and then he switched over to using an upgraded version which he calls CrossUI. And it seems to me that the version of UI Builderr ver 3 that I have includes the source code it was an open project I think at the time now it is not but it was then I think.

And CrossUI he made many improvements in the framework whatever you want to call the IDE.

I still use UI Builder because I learned how to work the IDE and I can get certain things done with it. I also use a newer version of CrossUI because of the many improvements he added to it.

And with CrossUI you are you can do cross-platform so you can put it on Windows you could put it I think on Linux or you could apply to the internet I'm talking about when you deploy it.

There are many many examples that Jack Lee put out with both versions. he has an example of a full-fledged order entry system using mySQL database.

And there are many snippets of code examples that you could also learn from.

With a program like Delphi it was dumb down quite a bit in a good way. if I wanted to use a database I just plop a database component on my pallet and I could hook things up to it and it was easy to make an application and whatever would run on Windows and I functioned well that way for a while. But I came to the conclusion that writing for a specific operating system probably wasn't the best way and to just write applications it would be able to be used on the internet was probably a more generic way a better way.

Of course humans cannot seem to leave anything alone they always got to keep messing with it and technology is just part of life I suppose but with software you always going to have to keep updating it either the version of PHP that you're using going to get old or some standard in the Dom for the Internet's going to change and you just got to keep on board with these things otherwise you get left behind.

And of course that's not such a bad thing if you're not under pressure you're savoring the experience and the changes that happen through technology that are good are not so bad. it's the it's a commercialization of the product that makes me irritated people put a lot of things in there just to make a buck course everybody's got to make a living things that are not necessary and they get added into the standard and then you have to confront it at some point. life such as it is.

I remember with Delphi,  Delphi had a good user base a lot of people had websites that dealt with Delphi and Delphi had this concept of components I don't know that they came up with it but they use this concept of components. where they could make a little encapsulated pieces of software that you could pop down on the pallet and do some really cool things with making it easier to throw applications together.

Of course the people who wrote the components they had to be really good at the nuts and bolts about writing software it was not a visual experience for the most part it was something that you had to do with a text editor and you had to know what you were doing otherwise it didn't work.

Delphi in my experience work good from version 1 to version 7 then after that it just went down the drain. I suspect it has to do with just competition in business things work for a while and other competitors would get in there and they promote something different in the world goes on.

I remember hearing Steve Jobs mentioned one time that he didn't like the concept of flash so he didn't allow it on any of his operating system which in turn kind of changed the events of the world of software in a direction that perhaps wasn't the best. And of course there's all sorts of powerful / influential people that make decisions like that that have effects on the world that we work with in regards to software.

But if you're good at the nuts and bolts and you know what you're doing well then that's not such a problem because there's a workaround for everything.

So in regards to CrossUI I think that many people who use the new IDE are basically what I would refer to as citizen developers. people who don't really get too far under the hood into the nuts and bolts of it.

People who get into the nuts and bolts of it and write good software and a text editor and can do it and have a good understanding of software probably wouldn't use that type of IDE drag and drop framework I mean not too much. Without much knowledge you could throw some windows on and some tabs and things and make it look pretty on the internet and deploy easily but it's just not going to have much substance to it if you you aren't able to connect it to a database or do certain clever things with the software.

So in a nutshell as of November 2023 these are some of my thoughts about CrossUI software and software in general

Quick Reply
User Name: